Fall Harvest Salad
Loaded with fresh apples, butternut squash, dried cranberries and walnuts, this fall salad is put over the top with a tasty apple cider vinaigrette.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups kale or spring green mix
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
Either whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or put all ingredients in mason jar and shake until mixed.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place walnuts in baking sheet and toast for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper and place butternut squash in even layer. Toss with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until butternut squash is tender. Remove and set aside.
Toss the kale, butternut squash, apple, walnuts, cranberries and feta cheese in large bowl until mixed. Add vinaigrette right before serving.
- Use fresh kale and chop yourself so you can easily remove the stems. Don’t buy the pre-packaged chopped kale unless that’s your only option.
- It is mentioned before, but massage the kale with some olive oil to make it less course and bitter.
- Be consistent with the size you dice the butternut squash so they cook evenly.
- Add some farro/barley if you want additional texture.
- If using for leftovers or a make-ahead lunch, keep the kale separate from all the other ingredients and toss to combine in the morning or right before serving.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 1303mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 26200IU | Vitamin C: 280.5mg | Calcium: 360mg | Iron: 4mg