Baked Chicken Nuggets
These crispy chicken nuggets are baked instead of fried and are a great healthier option to the more famous fried counterpart.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 nuggets
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour breadcrumbs in baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over breadcrumbs and toss with fingers. Spread in even layer and bake for 3 minutes. Remove from oven.
In a medium bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, thyme, basil, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
Place wire cooling rack on baking sheet and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Dip chicken into the egg mixture first, then coat with panko mixture. Transfer coated chicken to wire rack, leaving space in between each piece. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until chicken reached 165°F. Serve immediately with a sauce of your choice.
- I've mentioned it multiple times but panko breadcrumbs are best for crispy baked chicken.
- Pre-bake the breadcrumbs for 3 minutes so they will be extra crispy. If you don't the chicken will be done before the breadcrumbs are browned and crispy.
- Be consistent when cutting the chicken so they cook evenly.
- Place chicken on wire cooling rack which allows for all sides of the chicken to cook. If you skip this step, the bottom won't be crispy. The wire rack allows for hot air circulation to cook the chicken.
- You know the chicken is cooked when it reaches 165°F with an instant-read thermometer or if you cut into the chicken and the juices run clear and there is no pink. Honestly, I always just cut the chicken to see when it is done. If it isn’t just cook slightly longer.
- Leftovers will store well in an airtight container for 1/2 days in the fridge. To reheat, place chicken on cooling rack and cover with aluminum foil. Cook at 300°F in the oven until the chicken is warmed through.
Serving: 1chicken nugget | Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 101mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 0.7mg