Goat Cheese Polenta
This creamy polenta is loaded with goat cheese and is the perfect complement to a variety of dishes.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Bring water, milk and salt to low boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in polenta, whisking constantly until there are no clumps. Whisk polenta for about 5 minutes. It should still be slightly loose.
At this point, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, whisking every 5 minutes. At this point you want to mix with wooden spoon as it gets too thick to mix. The polenta is ready when creamy and individual grains are tender.
Turn off heat and stir in butter, goat cheese and Parmesan cheese. Season with more salt if needed. Serve in bowl with some more Parmesan cheese on top.
- Use at least 4 to 1 liquid to polenta ratio which allows for a creamy polenta. Sometimes even a 5 to 1 ratio will be needed.
- Use a combination of milk and water for the polenta. All water makes a neutral polenta while all milk makes the polenta too rich. Using half of each gives you the perfect polenta.
- Whisk the polenta constantly for at least 5 minutes right when you add it to the boiling liquid. This helps prevent it from sticking and burning.
- As the goat cheese polenta is simmering, stir every 5 minutes so it doesn't burn.
- The polenta is ready when the individual grains are tender. It should be spreadable, spoonable and creamy.
- Don't add additional flavor until the polenta is done. Stir in the butter, goat cheese and Parmesan at this point.
- Polenta can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge. When reheating, add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup water to help bring back the creaminess.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 245kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 638mg | Potassium: 161mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 500IU | Vitamin C: 0.8mg | Calcium: 340mg | Iron: 0.9mg