Vegan Banana Muffins
These vegan banana muffins are light, fluffy and moist and filled with bananas, dark chocolate chips and walnuts.
Servings 12 muffins
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (equal to about 3 ripe bananas)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, roasted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners. You can also just spray the muffin tins with cooking spray.
In a small bowl combine the chia seeds with 1/3 cup of water. Mix and let sit for 5 minutes to allow the chia seeds to gel.
Mix together the mashed bananas, coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Stir in the chia seed mixture. Add the flours, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Be careful not to over mix.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tins until about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before transferring to cooling rack.
- Let the chia seeds sit in water for at least 5 minutes so it soaks up the water and creates an egg-like consistency.
- The riper the banana the sweeter it is which makes for great muffins. You want a banana that has black/brown spots on the peel.
- If you're looking for some substitutions for ingredients, you can use vegetable oil instead of coconut oil, honey instead of maple syrup and oat milk instead of almond milk.
- Use half whole wheat and half all-purpose flour to get more nutrition but not make them too dense.
- Don't skip out on roasting the walnuts. By roasting them they will stay crispy in the batter and bring out the flavor.
- Just like with any regular muffin that you make, you’ll know the banana muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 141mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.3mg