Cider Beer Braised Pork Tacos
These slow cooker cider beer braised pork tacos with an apple-pomegranate salsa combine a ton of flavors in one tasty dish.
Servings 12 tacos
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 3 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 (10 oz can) red enchilada sauce
- 1 (8 oz) beer (I use lager)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- Corn tortillas
- Feta cheese
- Limes for serving
- 2 honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped
- arils from pomegranate
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- juice from 1 lime
In a large crockpot, add pork, onion, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, light brown sugar, salt, pepper and cayenne and toss so pork gets coated. Add enchilada sauce, apple cider and beer to crockpot and set to low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Shred pork with two forks.
Once pork is cooked, pre-heat broiler and place rack at top. Place aluminum foil on baking sheet. Using slotted spoon, transfer pulled pork to baking sheet and spread throughout in even layer. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes or until edges start to brown. Remove from oven and add 1/2 cup of leftover juice from slow cooker. Broil for additional 5 minutes. Remove again and add 1/2 cup of juice and broil again for 5 minutes.
For tortillas, heat small skillet over medium heat and cook for 30 seconds on both side. Serve pork over warm tortillas with fresh salsa, cheese, lime juice and extra cilantro if you want. Enjoy!
In medium bowl, add chopped apple, pomegranate arils, cilantro, lime juice and chili garlic sauce to bowl. Toss well to combine and cover and store in fridge until ready to serve. (PS if you need to know how to get pomegranate seeds, check out this video)
- Replace pork tenderloin with pork shoulder if you like a little more fat.
- Add 1-2 chilis in adobo sauce to slow cooker if you want more heat.
- Use a beer you like as it affects the flavor of the pork tacos. You can replace the beer with chicken stock if you don't want or have beer.
- To make the corn tortillas pliable, heat a small skillet over medium heat and cook for 30 seconds on each side. You can also cover the tortillas with a wet paper towel and place in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Serving: 1taco | Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 534mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 2mg