Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
Loaded with butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apples and some spices, this butternut squash sweet potato soup is what you should be having during the fall.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups sweet onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash (about 2 lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp thyme, diced
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Dash olive oil
In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add butternut squash, sweet potatoes, chicken broth and salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender, which should take about 15-20 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the apples. Puree with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. You can also add to blender in batches and puree.
Add the honey, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and heavy cream and stir. Bring to simmer and taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. If you need to thin the soup, just add some water. Serve in bowls and top with some goat cheese, thyme and a dash of olive oil.
- Use quality low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth. Remember a lot of the flavor will come from the broth.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables. It is much easier than adding to the blender in batches.
- Do not skip on adding the heavy cream as it adds richness and mouthfeel you wouldn’t get otherwise. If you don’t want to use heavy cream, you could try coconut milk.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 382kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 562mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 20800IU | Vitamin C: 42.9mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 1.6mg