This vegetable Pad Thai might not be what you’re thinking. No noodles with this recipe as the carrots are the noodles, but don’t judge until you try it!
If I ask, have you had Pad Thai? My guess would be your answer is yes, but what if I asked have you had vegetable Pad Thai? And I don’t mean noodle Pad Thai with some random vegetables! I mean a noodle-free version. I’m guessing your answer would be no, but after today that should change.
This recipe was inspired by one of the many blogs I follow – Minimalist Baker, which is a vegan only blog. Yes Lauren and I aren’t vegan, but we do try to balance food we really enjoy with healthy recipes as well. And while I love a good ole Pad Thai, I really enjoyed this vegetable version. You don’t even realize the ribboned carrots are actually carrots! It’s just a fancier version of the zoodle phenomenon that’s taken over this country, including this blog!
While it takes some time to prep the vegetables, cooking the meal can be completed in 30 minutes. Oh and it’s a one dish meal as well. So if you feel like just eating some veggies, then give this recipe a try.
What Ingredients are in this Vegetable Pad Thai?
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
- Maple syrup
- Chili garlic sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Sesame oil
- Produce – poblano pepper, green onion, red bell pepper, purple cabbage, carrots, kale, ginger, cilantro
- Crushed red pepper flakes
What Type of Tofu Do You Use?
So I always use extra-firm tofu and I have a specific recipe that goes great with this Pad Thai. By using cornstarch and baking at 400F for about 40, this crispy baked tofu is perfect.
Other Vegetarian Recipes:
Vegetable Pad Thai (Noodle-Free)
- 5 tbsp peanut butter
- 7 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 6 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 7-8 (4 cups) large carrots, peeled and ribboned
- 2 cups kale, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes and chopped peanuts for topping
- Extra-firm tofu (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, low-sodium soy sauce, lime juice, maple syrup and chili garlic sauce and mix until combined. Adjust taste if necessary. Set aside.
- If using tofu, heat small skillet over medium heat with 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until brown and add 1/4 cup peanut sauce to coat. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetable oil. Once hot, add the peppers, onion, cabbage and sesame oil. Cook for about 3 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Add carrots and kale and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup peanut sauce, grated ginger and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Cook for another 3 minutes, until the kale is wilted, stirring throughout. Remove from heat.
- Top with remaining cilantro, chopped peanuts and crushed red pepper if you need some more heat. Enjoy!