This skillet Mediterranean lasagna combines the best of Italian and Greek flavors and is a great dish to impress your guests.
A lasagna that combines the best of Italian and Greek food. When I first started this blog, I created this website (obviously), a Facebook page and an Instagram. My goal was to have one random person make a recipe that I shared. While I don’t know if that has happened yet, the only way to get the blog out there was to invite my friends to like it!
So a couple of months ago, Meghan Ashley, became the 100th person to like our Facebook page. When I saw us reach 100 likes, it may seem like a small milestone but I still thought it was cool. Just for fun I said that her husband, Jim (a coworker of mine), and her were welcome over for a dinner of their choice for being our 100th like. While it took a little time to find a date that worked, we were able to get together.
Once I found out her favorite food was Mediterranean, I was in a dilemma. While I like Mediterranean, I just don’t make it that much. So I turned to my favorite food blog, Half Baked Harvest. I found a bunch of her recipes that fit the bill and sent them her way. What was chosen was a Mediterranean Lasagna (original recipe can be found here). I’ve said in the past I love one skillet meals and this one was no different. We loved it so much, we ate the entire Mediterranean lasagna in one sitting. Don’t judge…
One thing I have yet to mention is Meghan is an outstanding photographer. So she brought her camera over and helped document everything. So in case you noticed pictures that looked way better than normal, it’s because I didn’t take them. So thanks to Meghan for taking these awesome photos. I hope you give this recipe a try and enjoy!
PS Lauren also made S’mores Cupcakes which we both believe might be the best cupcake we’ve had to date. Those will be shared in a couple of days.
Because of the pictures I’m going to give some step-by-step instructions with the pictures as well.
First you need to chop, the asparagus, sugar snap peas, green onions, olives and garlic cloves.
Set aside everything except the sugar snap peas.
Now you’ll want to cook the sugar snap peas in a medium skillet with the sun-dried tomato oil for about 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the veggies and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then remove from the skillet and set aside.
While veggies are cooking you’ll want to break up the noodles into quarters.
You’ll then want to boil the lasagna to al dente and drain and set aside.
Add the butter back to the same skillet that you had the veggies in and cook the garlic for 30 seconds. Then add the flour and cook, whisking constantly for about 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and whisk. Cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from heat and add the cheese and crushed red pepper and mix until melted.
Add the noodles, veggies, parsley and basil and stir until the noodles are coated. Top with Parmesan cheese and pepperoni.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F until golden brown and enjoy!
What Ingredients are in this Mediterranean Lasagna?
- Olive oil
- Produce – sugar snap peas, asparagus, green onions, olives, garlic, basil, Italian parsley
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Unsalted butter
- All-purpose flour
- Four cheese blend (fontina, provolone, asiago, mozzarella)
- Crush red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper
- No boil lasagna noodles
- Parmesan cheese
Other Pasta Recipes:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lb shredded four cheese blend (fontina, provolone, asiago and mozzarella)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 no boil whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into fourths (or noodles that are cooked to al dente if you can't find no boil)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 15 pepperoni
- Preheat oven to 375F. Heat oven safe medium skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add sugar snap peas and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus, green onions, sun-dried tomatoes and olives and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the veggies from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for about 1 minutes. Slowly add milk and whisk. Cook for about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and add the four cheese blend and crushed red pepper.
- Add the noodles, veggies, parsley and basil and stir until everything is coated in the sauce. Add the pepperoni and parmesan cheese evenly across the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve.