These lemon blueberry breakfast cookies are loaded with healthy ingredients including oats, chia seeds and almond butter which makes it great for breakfast or a snack.
Lemon and blueberries are just one of those classic combinations. The sweet and tangy complement each other perfectly. I was looking for a healthy snack that could be taken on the go, when I stumbled across Love and Lemon’s blueberry lemon zest breakfast cookies. Immediately knew I had to try my own version. I love lemon so added a little more lemon zest to mine to give it even more pronounced flavor.
These cookies really are the perfect breakfast, or snack for that matter. You get fiber from the oats and protein from the almond butter. And they’re naturally sweetened with maple syrup. It’s basically oatmeal in a cookie for breakfast. And even better, they’re gluten-free and vegan. These aren’t a traditional oatmeal cookie that you might be imagining, but don’t fret – they’re just as addicting. So if you’re looking for a guilt-free snack or healthy breakfast recipe, these are what you should be making.
What Ingredients are in this Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cookie Recipe?
- Chia seeds
- Old-fashioned oats
- Almond flour
- Produce – lemons, blueberries
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Spices – cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger
- Almond butter
- Maple syrup
- Coconut oil
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the chia seeds with water and let sit for 5 minutes
- In a food processor, add 1 1/4 cups of oats and blend until it turns into fine flour. In large bowl, mix together the oat flour, remaining whole oats, almond flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir in the chia seed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the blueberries and walnuts.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of batter and place on baking sheet. Gently press flat. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before placing on cooling rack.
Do I Have to Make these Vegan?
No. The chia seeds are an egg replacement, so if you’d prefer to use eggs, just use two eggs to replace the chia seeds and water. Also you can use flaxseed and water instead if you prefer.
I Don’t Have Almond Flour or Almond Butter…
That’s fine. Again it can easily be replaced. You can just use regular all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour instead of almond flour and peanut butter instead of almond butter.
Other Breakfast Recipes
- Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Orange Pistachio Biscotti
Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
- 2 tbsp chia seeds + 5 tbsp warm water
- 2 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- zest of 2 lemons (1 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine chia seeds with warm water in small bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Take 1 1/4 cups oats and place in food processor and pulse until fine flour. It should give you 1 cup oat flour.
- In large bowl, mix together oat flour, remaining oats, almond flour, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir in chia seed mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup, scoop out batter onto baking sheet. Gently press flat with back of spatula. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pan halfway through. When done, remove from oven and let cook on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.