Homemade taco seasoning mix. It’s officially May! Man is time flying by this year. Just the other day I was thinking of all the taco recipes I’ve shared in the past year. It’s pretty obvious that we enjoy tacos, but I feel like most people do right? Anyway today is all about the simple things in life when it comes to this homemade taco seasoning mix for ground beef tacos.
The weird thing is that out of the countless tacos we’ve had since we’ve been together, we couldn’t remember a time where we just had old school ground beef tacos. I mean I posted a cauliflower walnut taco before a beef taco. So with that in mind we decided to dig up a ground beef taco recipe. But hey we didn’t buy a bag of seasoning mix because that’s just boring. After looking at a few recipes we developed our own homemade taco seasoning mix and it’s worth the extra 2 minute effort.
If you are feeling lazy, then by all means just buy the bag. However if you’re like us, you probably have every spice to make your own mix and it tastes infinitely better. So I hope you give this a try and enjoy! I mean what’s better to have on Cinco de Mayo then some tacos!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix for Ground Beef Tacos
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 tsp dried onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped white onion
- 1 lb ground beef
- taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- hard and soft taco shells
- cheese, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, guacamole for toppings
Taco Seasoning Mix
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add ground beef and break up with spoon. Cook and stir until beef is browned, about 7-10 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and grease.
- Return skillet to heat and add taco seasoning and water, stirring to combine. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, cooking until the moisture is absorbed into the heat, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare taco shells according to instructions. Add meat and toppings you likes. Enjoy!