Lettuce wraps might have been made famous by P.F. Chang’s, but these Greek chicken lettuce wraps are a great Mediterranean twist. Even better this are actually a healthy dinner.
Mediterranean style food is one of those cuisines we just don’t have very often. Part of the reason is Lauren is not a fan of olives so it’s hard to make something mediterranean without olives, but I digress. Recently, as usual, I was browsing Half Baked Harvest and saw her chicken lettuce wraps recipe. It was easy and had relatively few ingredients. The best part was I could put olives on my wrap, but not Lauren’s! Like usual, I changed a few things around but the original recipe can be found here.
What really makes this recipe is the Greek goddess sauce, which is basically a pesto without the cheese. So if you like pesto, you’ll definitely like this! I’ve used it on quite a few other dishes as well. The slight heat from the jalapeño makes it outstanding. If you’re looking something that’s a little out of your comfort zone, but still tastes amazing then these lettuce wraps are for you.
What Ingredients Are In Greek Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Spices (smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper)
- Fresh oregano
- Red onion
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Toppings (olives, microgreens, feta cheese)
- Fresh basil
Do I Really Have To Make The Basil Pistachio Sauce?
No you don’t HAVE to, but you’ll be sorry if you don’t. I’ve realized over the years how important sauces are to recipes and while this basil pistachio sauce is amazing on its own, it really compliments the lettuce wraps perfectly. However if you don’t want to make the sauce, a store-bough basil pesto could be a nice substitute.
Greek Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 1/2 lemons, sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- 1 head butter or romaine lettuce
- feta cheese, microgreens and kalamata olives for topping
Basil Pistachio Sauce
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, halved and seeds removed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large ziplock bag, combine 3 tbsp olive oil, chicken, garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, lemons, salt and pepper. Marinate in fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Dump the entire bag of chicken onto a 9x13 baking dish. Mix in peppers and onion. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- While chicken is cooking prepare greek goddess sauce. Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until combined. Add extra water if sauce needs to be thinned. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- To assemble wraps, get a piece of lettuce and add chicken. Top with peppers, onion, cucumbers, avocado, olives, microgreens and cheese. Generously top with the greek goddess sauce.