If you love fried rice but want to save on calories and carbs, these easy cauliflower fried rice is a great substitute and tastes just like the real thing.
Yes I’m a little late to the cauliflower fried rice trend… well actually I’m not but I just hadn’t taken pictures in the past when I had made it but that changes today. To keep it healthy and vegetarian I also always make it with my crispy baked tofu.
Fried rice is a simple dish of cooked rice that has been stir-fried in a wok or frying pan is mixed with some vegetables and eggs. It can be great as a main dish or side dish. Everything about this fried cauliflower rice is the same except for, well, the rice! If you’ve ever made fried rice, you take the exact same steps except you use cauliflower instead of rice. These days, grocery stores will carry cauliflower heads year round. To get the rice consistency, you just throw in a food processor and pulse a few times before you get your desired texture. Some grocery stores, like Wegman’s, have taken it a step further and sell pre-packaged cauliflower rice if you’re feeling lazy!
Honestly, if you just served this dish to someone without telling them it was cauliflower, they might actually think it was the real thing. It’s that good! And best of all, this dish is straight up vegetables. If you’re like me, this will just be the beginning of cauliflower rice recipes that you’ll find yourself making.
What Ingredients are in this Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice?
- Produce – cauliflower, sweet onion, ginger, garlic, peas, carrots, scallions
- Vegetable oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
- Sesame oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cashews or peanuts
How to Make Cauliflower Rice?
You can either use a food processor or box grater. You need to cut the cauliflower into chunks before using either. If using a food processor, add in stages and pulse until rice-like consistency. If using the grater, use the side commonly used to grate cheese and grate cauliflower into rice-like consistency. From there you cook over medium heat in skillet with some oil for about 5-8 minutes or until you reach your desired consistency.
How Many Carbs are in Cauliflower?
Cauliflower has 5g per cup vs 46g for a cup of brown rice so quite a bit less. And if you’re watching calories, cauliflower has 25 calories per cup vs 218 for a cup of cooked brown rice.
Do I Have to Use Tofu?
No you don’t. I know not everyone is a fan of tofu but it’s a great way to make vegetarian. Again the main point of cauliflower fried rice is to replace the rice and have more vegetables, so you can easily have some poultry or meat in place of tofu.
Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 (2 lb) cauliflower head, pulsed to rice-like consistency
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts (optional)
- 1 (12-15 oz block) tofu (see recipe attached)
- Cut cauliflower into florets and add to food processor and pulse until rice like consistency. You do not want a puree. You might have to do this in stages depending on size of food processor. Set aside in large bowl.
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until they are scrambled. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Wipe the skillet clean.
- Heat 3 tbsp vegetable oil in same large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and sugar and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the frozen peas and carrots and cook until the vegetables are warmed through and the "rice" is tender-crisp. Lastly, add the rice vinegar, sesame oil, scallions, cashews, tofu and eggs. Adjust for seasoning and enjoy!