A quick and easy healthy cast iron skillet recipe that is loaded with Mexican flavors makes this chicken sweet potato skillet perfect for anyone looking for something that is huge in flavor but also actually good for you.
Oh and it’s January, which makes this a great recipe for what is known as the healthy month! Listen, I love to cook so I’m all about crazy recipes that take a couple of hours to make and tastes delicious. But I also love healthy cast iron skillet recipes that can be made for any random weeknight, and this chili lime sweet potato and chicken skillet dinner hits the spot. Inspired by Sweet Peas and Saffron, I added a few more spices and extra lime zest. Oh and some more garlic because I add extra garlic to everything!
To me, one of the easiest ways to eat a little healthier is to use sweet potatoes and add a bunch of spices. Shoot, if you search sweet potatoes on Chisel and Fork you’ll see quite a few recipes. It honestly is my most used ingredient and for good reason. It’s just so versatile! So if you’re looking for healthy one pan meals or like sweet potatoes like me, then give this one a try.
What Ingredients are in this Chicken Sweet Potato Skillet Recipe?
- Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Produce – sweet potatoes, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, lime, cilantro, avocado
- Black beans
- Chicken stock
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt
Can I Make this Vegetarian/Vegan?
Of course! Chicken isn’t necessary so you can go without it, but if you want some protein, just throw in some crispy baked tofu. Also replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. You don’t need to replace anything else.
- Chicken Tortilla Rice Bake
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Enchilada Skillet
- Chorizo and Avocado Quesadillas
- Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Bake
- Skillet Nachos
Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, diced into 1" cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large (1 lb) sweet potato, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
- 2 limes zested
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- avocado, sour cream, cheese, etc..
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper chicken and then add to pan, cooking for 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set on a plate.
- Add another tbsp olive oil to skillet and reduce heat to medium heat. Add sweet potatoes and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell peppers and red onion and cook for 5 minutes. With 30 seconds left, add garlic and stir in. At this point, the sweet potato should be browning.
- Next, add in the spices, chicken stock and chicken. Stir so that everything is combined and then cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lime zest and black beans. Adjust for seasoning. Garnish with cilantro, avocado and some lime juice. Serve immediately.