It's officially summer so naturally the first thing we had was........ chicken noodle soup. Unfortunately I caught a cold and passed on to Lauren. While soup is normally the last thing on my mind to eat during the dead heat of summer, this easy homemade chicken noodle soup just felt like it was the best thing for both of us.
I'm sure everyone had chicken noodle soup growing up, especially if they were sick. I feel like it is one of those things that is just a part of society. Before deciding to make it, I actually looked to see if there was any benefit. Perusing around the internet I found that studies have shown that a hearty bowl of chicken soup may help you to clear nasal congestion and have a mild anti-inflammatory effect that can help ease cold symptoms.
Whatever it is about chicken noodle soup, there isn't much better when you're congested. And what's great about this easy homemade chicken noodle soup is it can be made in under 45 minutes and is very easy to put together, which is something I'm always looking for in recipes. So save this easy homemade chicken noodle soup for a cold day or if you unfortunately have a cold yourself. Hope you enjoy!
Other soup recipes you might like:
Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 lb chicken breast (or 2 cups shredded chicken from rotisserie chicken)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 oz wide egg noodles
- 4 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt + black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Salt and pepper chicken and then cook 4 minutes on both sides or until 165F. Shred chicken and remove from dutch oven. (You can skip this step and just use rotisserie chicken)
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil and butter to dutch oven, still oven medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic, thyme, rosemary and oregano and cook for an additional 1 minute. (You can use dried herbs but just cut in half) Add chicken stock and bay leaves and bring to boil. Boil for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. Add the egg noodles and boil according to package. It should be 6-8 minutes. With about 2 minutes left, add chicken, parsley and lemon juice. Make sure to taste soup as you might need to add some salt or additional herbs. Remove bay leaves and serve. immediately.