When you were a kid did you like just plain broccoli? I’m guessing no, but did you like broccoli and cheese? I mean cheese makes everything better, but I feel like broccoli and cheese is one of those introductions to get kids to eat vegetables. So today I’m sharing a grown-up version with this chicken and broccoli skillet bake.
Inspired by another recipe from Half Baked Harvest, this is one of those easy and quick meals that is perfect for a weeknight! It’s also another dinner that takes advantage of my spiralizer. I’ve surprised myself how much I’ve utilized my spiralizer, but it’s a great way to add vegetables to a meal you might not otherwise.
Oh and one other thing that makes this recipe great! It’s all made in one skillet, so less dishes! So if you’re feeling a little nostalgic or need a good recipe for your kids, give this one a try. Enjoy!
Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Bake
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 large broccoli heads, chopped
- 2 large zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add diced chicken, salt and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping once or twice to get both sides browned. Remove the chicken plus any juice.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil back to same skillet. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes or until it's translucent. Toss in garlic, thyme, onion powder and parsley and cook for another minute. Add chicken broth and stir until mixture thickens. about 2 minutes.
- Add broccoli and spiralized zucchini noodles and cook for another 3 minutes. Toss in chicken and stir until everything is mixed. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Enjoy!