Loaded with butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apples and some spices, this butternut squash sweet potato soup is what you should be having during the fall.
I realize I’ve shared quite a few soup recipes lately, but hey it’s soup season! And with Thanksgiving just around the corner I figured it was an appropriate time to share this soup. Make no mistake though, this is a great soup year round – that is if you can find butternut squash the whole year at your grocery store, which I know isn’t always the case.
When it comes to soup, this really couldn’t be easier to make. While it might be a little more expensive, I’d suggest trying to find an already peeled and cubed butternut squash as that’s really the hardest part. Luckily for us, Wegmans always has it during the fall! Also, this soup is much easier to make if you have an immersion blender, but if you don’t you can throw in a blender or food processor to get the soup smooth.
This butternut squash sweet potato soup really tastes just like fall, with the butternut squash, sweet potatoes, apple and spices. If you ask Lauren, she’ll say this is her favorite soup we make. And it’s really hard to disagree with her. Even better for me, it takes only 30 minutes to make. So if you’re craving a healthy soup that tastes like fall, this is it.
What Ingredients are in this Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup?
- Unsalted butter
- Produce – sweet onion, garlic, butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, thyme
- Chicken stock
- Spices – cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt, black pepper
- Heavy cream
- Goat cheese
- Olive oil
Do I Have to Use Sweet Potato as Well?
No. I just like the combination of butternut squash and sweet potato with this soup, but you can easily just use 3 lbs butternut squash.
Other Soup Recipes
Butternut Squash Sweet Potato Soup
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups sweet onion, chopped (about 1 large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash (about 2 lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 cups sweet potatoes (about 1 lb), peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, cored, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp thyme, diced
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Dash olive oil
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash, sweet potatoes, chicken broth and salt and pepper to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until vegetables are tender, which should take about 15-20 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the apples. Puree with a handheld immersion blender until smooth. You can also add to blender in batches and puree.
- Add the honey, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and heavy cream and stir. Bring to simmer and taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. If you need to thin the soup, just add some water. Serve in bowls and top with some goat cheese, thyme and a dash of olive oil. Enjoy!