These quick and easy black bean veggie burgers are loaded with oats, spices, green chilis and you guessed it – black beans. These sandwiches are a tasty way to get more vegetables packed into your meals.
Oh hey I’m sharing some veggie burgers again. As you may well know by now, I quite enjoy veggie burgers and these might be our favorites yet.I actually created these veggie burgers about a year ago at this time, but I just never got around to taking some pictures and writing a post about it. But with it going on a year and being the month of healthy eating, I figured it was time to break out these bad boys.
Trust me when I say do not judge this recipe based off me taking a year to post it because it’s honestly my go-to veggie burger recipe. Why is that? Because I don’t have to cook anything before mixing these patties together. Most of my veggie burgers you have to roast whatever vegetable that goes into the burger, but not with these.
There is just enough spice to give these black bean veggie burgers great flavor. And the oats are super important in binding and making them easy to cook. So I hope you don’t take as long to make these I as took to post the recipe. Enjoy!
What Ingredients are in Black Bean Veggie Burgers?
- Black beans (shocker)
- Old-fashioned oats
- Produce – green, bell pepper, shallot, garlic, cilantro, lime
- Mild green chilis
- Spices – chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper
Can I Make these Vegan/Egg Free?
Yes you can use any egg substitute like flax or chia egg, or 1 tbsp of vegan mayo. I personally don’t eat vegan so don’t make a ton of vegan meals but these will taste just as good with the substitutes.
Keys to Veggie Burgers that Don’t Fall Apart
I’ve made plenty of veggie burgers in the past few years and discovered that there are three keys to keeping your burgers together.
- Oats – by placing old-fashioned oats in the food processor and pulsing a few times, you create a healthy binder that is better than flour.
- Eggs – eggs help bind the burger. I originally didn’t use eggs and found that they just didn’t hold together like I wanted but just 1 egg makes all the difference. As mentioned above, you can use a vegan substitute.
- Bake – bake the patties before freezing or cooking the rest of the way. By baking the veggie burgers for 40 minutes (20 minutes per side), you allow the outside of the patties to develop a crust. You can then freeze from here or finish on the stove-top to develop a charred crust.
These quick and easy black bean veggie burgers are loaded with oats, spices, green chilis and you guessed it - black beans.
- 2 (15.5 oz cans) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium shallot, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 (4 oz can) mild green chilis
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 egg, beaten
- Buns, toasted
- Toppings (cheese, avocado, ketchup, etc...)
Preheat oven to 400F. Place rinsed and drained black beans in a large bowl. Mash with fork or potato masher.
Grind the oats in a food processor until broken up but not turned into flour. Set aside in bowl. In same food processor, add bell pepper, shallot and garlic cloves and pulse until finely minced. Transfer vegetable mixture to fine mesh strainer and press down with spoon to remove excess moisture.
Add vegetable mixture to the bowl of black beans. Also add chopped cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, green chilis and juiced lime and stir to combine. Add beaten eggs and grounded oats and mix until everything holds together.
Use 1/2 cup measuring cup and scoop out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down to desired thickness. It should give you 8 patties.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 400F before flipping and baking another 20 minutes. This should give you enough consistency to be able to freeze or cook the rest of the way to eat now.
If eating now, heat a medium skillet over medium heat with enough oil to cover bottom of skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side. If using cheese add after flipping. Add toppings of your desire and enjoy!