If you’ve been out to breakfast or brunch these days, more than likely you’ve run into avocado toast but this bacon avocado toast is better than what you can get at a restaurant.
When did avocado toast become a thing? I did some searching and found an article from the Washington Post. While it’s been around for much longer than I imagined, they believe it was Gwyneth Paltrow’s cookbook in 2013 that started it. Looking at Google Trends, it does seem to coincide. So if you’re like us and have started to see avocado toast everywhere, then you can thank Paltrow!
So why am I sharing this avocado toast recipe today? Because Lauren is obsessed with it! If she sees it on the menu, more than likely she will be ordering it. Just like me with chicken and waffles! We’ve definitely had our varieties of avocado toast over the years, but to me the best is really the simplest with just avocado, some bacon and maybe some fresh tomatoes.
If you haven’t had avocado toast at this point, then I recommend going out immediately and getting the ingredients to make this avocado toast. As Lauren said, this is restaurant quality!
What Ingredients are in this Bacon Avocado Toast?
- Italian bread
- Produce – avocado, garlic, cherry tomatoes, cilantro
- Salt and black pepper
What Other Types of Avocado Toast Can I Make?
The opportunities are boundless when it comes to avocado toast. Obviously the base is good quality bread and avocado, but there are so many different things that you can put on top. Some include:
- Fried egg
- Black bean and salsa
- Smoked salmon
- Tomato basil
- Arugula and goat cheese
Be creative as you want to be when it comes to avocado toast!
Other Breakfast Recipes:
Bacon Avocado Toast
- 4 slices crusty Italian bread, cut 1" thick
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- kosher salt + black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place parchment paper on baking sheet and lay bacon on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy. Remove and place bacon on paper-lined plate. Reserve bacon grease.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp bacon grease. (If you don't have bacon grease, use butter). Toast for about 2-3 minutes on one side or until golden brown. Add another tbsp bacon grease or butter and flip the bread to toast for another 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocado with some salt and pepper. Add juice from 1/2 lime. Taste if you need more salt.
- Spread each slice of toast with 1/2 cup of mashed avocado. Sprinkle on some tomatoes and cilantro. Break one piece of bacon in half and place on top. Serve immediately.