Loaded with sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, apples, chicken and bacon, this autumn hash tastes and smells just like Thanksgiving! I mean Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be the only time you have delicious meals.
Hashes are one of my favorite things to make as they are normally pretty quick and easy to put together. The main thing that takes some time is chopping everything, but after that it’s pretty quick to whip up. If you are a little short on time however but still would love a hash, this chorizo sweet potato hash might be what you’re looking for.
Are you starting to get the idea I like fall/autumn dishes? I promise not every dish in the next month will be related to my favorite time of year, but most of them will! And today is about this autumn hash, which is loaded with sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, apples, chicken and bacon!
For those that see Brussels sprouts and freak out, get with the times! We all know they are the “in” vegetable at the moment and they add a great flavor to the hash. As Lauren said when I was cooking this, “It just smells like Thanksgiving.” I’ll take that every day of the week! So give this a try. Believe me, you’ll be wondering why you hadn’t made it sooner!
What Ingredients are in this Autumn Hash?
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Produce – sweet onion, sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, apples, garlic, thyme, sage
- Salt and black pepper
- Chicken stock
Can I Make This Vegetarian?
Yes you can. Just omit the chicken and bacon and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock. I’d add another sweet potato to make up for the loss of chicken as well.
Other Skillet Recipes
- Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
- Chicken Tortilla Rice Bake
- Chicken and Broccoli Skillet Bake
- Kentucky Hot Brown
- Maple Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 3/4 lb), cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Heat two tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and cook about 4 minutes on each side until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat in same skillet to medium and add bacon. Cook until crisp and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Increase same skillet back to medium-high heat and add diced sweet potato, onion, Brussels sprouts, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent and the sweet potatoes are softened. Should be about 10 minutes.
- Add the cubed apples, garlic, thyme, sage and cinnamon. Cook 30 seconds and pour 1/2 cup of chicken stock and cook until broth has evaporated, about 1 minute. Add chicken back and cook until chicken is warmed through. Stir in bacon and serve immediately.